Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Valley of Adam-ondi-Ahman via Google Maps

I was reading an article on some LDS Church history regarding Adam-ondi-Ahman. I found the quote from Joseph Smith that specifically defines the location according to the county plat map.

"In the afternoon I went up the river about half a mile to Wight’s Ferry, . . . for the purpose of selecting and laying claim to a city plat near said ferry in Daviess County, township 60, range 27 and 28, and sections 25, 36, 31, and 30"

So, I did a bit of research and found an old Daviess County map that was online that showed the sections and then mapped it out myself in Google Maps. This allows you to see it using a modern street map and the satellite images.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Erika said...

This is REALLY, REALLY, cool Miles!

Anonymous said...

Very useful, was trying to figure out how to get there and you solved the problem using Google Maps....great! Thanks for the efforts!